Saturday 21 January 2023

Update on Friday’s flood at Primrose Court

Yesterday I wrote about a flooding incident at Primrose Court in Blackhall Colliery. Please see details in the article here: https://robcrute-blackhall.blogspot.com/2023/01/flooding-incident-at-primrose-court.html

Thankfully the damage to the interior of the building was minimal, with the corridors and ceilings rather than the individual living spaces affected by water ingress. 

However I assured residents and their families yesterday that I would keep them up to date with developments as soon as I had more information from Believe Housing following their assessment of the situation. 


Last night I received an update from the Director of neighbourhoods at Believe Housing and I’ve published it below in full: 

Evening Councillors,


I am just dropping you a note to make you aware that we have been dealing with an incident at Primrose Court in relation to a major burst that happened late this afternoon. (Cllr Crute I know you are already aware of this following your visit to site)


We have had staff on site who have been supporting customers , clearing damage and repairing the pipework to re-instate the heating to the building and surrounding properties which we have done. Damage has been predominantly to the corridors and the ceilings within one part of the scheme.


In relation to the current position I would advise as follows:

The building is safe with the debris removed and temporary lighting in one part which was damaged


We have a security guard on site up until Tuesday should there be any issues


Bottled Water has been supplied and is on site with replenishment over the weekend by our staff


All residents (with the exception of 4 have been contacted but these are in hand)


Lifts are operational


There are 50 portable heaters on site should there be an issue over the weekend


De-humidifiers to the corridor will be in place tomorrow and we will de vacuuming the corridor to further remove water at this time


Only 1 customer has been moved to the guest room due to water ingress to her flat adjacent to the burst


In terms of rectification:

The part will be available and delivered with site attendance 8am Monday and water will be re-instated at the latest Tuesday after the appropriate repair and water hygiene checks


Staff will be on site again on Monday to review the position and deal with the insurance related matters to put repairs in hand with the loss adjuster


Customers will be further contacted on Monday


This has been an extremely unfortunate incident and we have had a large number of staff on site and we have done what we can at this stage. We will return on Monday but our emergency staff are aware of the situation and the Duty Manager has attended this evening and will ensure matters are in hand over the weekend.


I am sorry that this has happened but I hope that you are happy with the update and appreciate that the team on site have done as much as possible given the circumstances. My Neighbourhood Manager will co-ordinate things with the team on Monday


Best Regards


I’m expecting an additional update early next week and I’ll publish details as soon as I receive it. In the meantime if you have any concerns about this incident please let me know at: rob.crute@durham.gov.uk and I’ll do whatever I can to help.