Friday 13 August 2021

Update on the Castle Eden Crematorium development

Following a query I submitted recently on behalf of local residents I have received an update from the county council's planning office on Dignity plc's plans to construct a crematorium on land adjacent to Castle Eden Golf Club (please see my article dated Wednesday 28 August 2019 for background information: https://robcrute-blackhall.blogspot.com/2019/08/controversial-castle-eden-crematorium.html)


I have published the response I received below in full and I'll continue to update on developments with this matter as soon as I have additional information:

[Dignity plc] have explained that since the commencement of the development with the access the proposals have been paused for 2 main reasons – i) awaiting the results of an ongoing national market investigation into the funeral services sector by the Govt Competition and Markets Authority ii) pressures as a result of Covid which has meant that Dignity have focused all their attention on operating sites rather than new proposals.

They have stated that their intentions remain to develop the site and have stated that they are currently re-engaging with contractors in regard to a re-start of the scheme.  Dignity haven’t put a precise timescale on this but stated that they do hope to be back on site as soon as possible.