Friday 29 March 2013

Bus services - demand for public service before private profit

Following complaints about disruption to the Go North East 206 bus service in my ward I have now had the opportunity to contact the scrutiny office at county hall to request that representatives from GoNE be invited to meet with me and members from other wards affected to explain the reason for their service reduction which was implemented without either prior warning or public consultation (see post dated 26 March 2013 for background details).

I have serious concerns that, since deregulation of the industry, bus companies are focused solely on shareholder profits rather than on providing an efficient service for paying travellers. This clearly has a detrimental impact on the people and communities in my ward and I believe that it's about time that bus companies were made more accountable to the customers they claim to serve.

I will update on progress through this site but in the meantime I will continue to press for a service which is based on customer needs rather than on company profit margins.