Tuesday 10 September 2024

Update on reported highways issues

Over the past week or so I've been dealing with a number of highways-related issues after residents in Blackhall Rocks and Blackhall Colliery raised their concerns with me about the poor condition of some of the roads in their neighbourhoods.

I've published the latest known details of some of these issues below, and will update as soon as I have more information from the service:

The Crescent, Blackhall Colliery

Once again I’ve asked the highways team to carry out an inspection of the road surface at The Crescent and carry out repairs where necessary.
After two similar requests over the past year or so for some reason the inspector seems to think that there are no ‘actionable defects’ on this road. The images attached to this post tell a different story. Hopefully it’ll be third time lucky!

Shortly after I submitted the request above I submitted an additional request for the damaged footpath in the back lane between Park Avenue and The Crescent to be inspected and arrangements to be made for repairs where necessary.

I’ve now received confirmation that repair works are now in the council’s highways works programme and will be carried out within the next three months in line with council policy on the type and severity of defects.

Meadow Avenue & Maureen Avenue, Blackhall Rocks


Following contact with a resident recently I’ve asked the highways section to carry out an inspection of the road surface in the lane between Meadow Avenue and Maureen Avenue and repair any defects as necessary.

I was advised last week that repair works are now in the council’s current highways works programme.

Attlee Avenue, Blackhall Rocks

A resident from Attlee Avenue got in touch with me earlier this week to tell me about the poor condition of the grassed area in the cul-de-sac at the top of the street.

I called along there the day after to take a look for myself, and as you’ll see from the images in this post there have been quite a few of the embedded paving stones lifted out of the ground and scattered across the green.
I’ve raised residents’ concerns with the authorities with a request that the stones are either replaced or removed altogether. I’ve also asked that the open space is tidied up and that the perimeter fencing is either replaced or repaired wherever necessary.

I was advised last week that the council’s clean and green team has been issued a request to tidy up the land, replace or remove the block-paving and repair or replace the perimeter fencing where necessary.

Princess Close, Blackhall Rocks

Following a request recently from a resident at Princess Close I've asked for a salt bin to be installed in the street. The entrance and exit points at Princess Close are quite steep so I would expect a positive response from the service.

If you have any streets in your neighbourhood that don't currently have a salt bin at either end of the street but would benefit from one please send me location details, and images if possible, to rob.crute@durham.gov.uk and I'll issue a request to the highways department.