Saturday 27 April 2024

Update on delayed fence and barrier repairs

I’ve contacted the council again this week to express my concern about persistent delays to my requests to have fences and barriers replaced at two separate locations in Blackhall Colliery. 

Three years ago I reported a barrier on Middle Street for replacement after it was damaged beyond repair in a traffic collision. More recently, In November last year, I reported a fence at the bottom of First Street for replacement after it had been torn down and thrown onto a bonfire on the evening of 5 November. 

Since then I have requested updates on several occasions, only to be told that materials for the replacement works had been unavoidably delayed in the supply line. While acknowledging that there is likely to be some delay in sourcing materials I find it unacceptable that two fairly straightforward replacement schemes, in prominent places in the village, have been left in a state of disrepair for over three years in the case of the damaged barrier on Middle Street.

I’ve now received confirmation that works are scheduled to take place in the coming weeks as soon as the materials are received. Given repeated delays to works in the past I’ll monitor progress and urge the council where necessary to speed up the process and carry out repairs or replacement works at these two prominent and unsightly locations.