Friday 28 January 2022

Derelict land on Middle Street, Blackhall Colliery

I’ve been contacted today by residents concerned about the condition of an open patch of derelict land on Middle Street in Blackhall Colliery. The image below shows the land as viewed from the library railings.

The land is in private ownership and was fenced-off almost six years ago after the county council’s Community Action Team first came to Blackhall and requested the owner to carry out repairs: https://robcrute-blackhall.blogspot.com/2016/03/works-to-repair-damaged-fence-at.html 

However the fence has since been removed and the land is now frequently used for fly-tipping. In addition the fence on the Middle Street side of the site is in a dangerous condition and is frequently falling into the pathway, especially after high winds:

I’ve reported our concerns to the relevant sections at DCC for their attention and I’ve asked that Stacey and I are kept up to date with developments. I’ll report on progress as soon as I have more information.