Sunday 20 September 2020

Welfare Crescent garage site

I’ve been contacted recently by residents and garage users concerned about the increasingly dilapidated and potentially dangerous condition of parts of the garage site behind Welfare Crescent in Blackhall Colliery. I’ve also received reports that children and young people are gathering at the site, both causing a nuisance and also putting themselves at risk of harm or injury.

In responding to these concerns I have written to the authorities over the weekend to firstly determine the ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the garages and the site, and also to ask for details of the long-term plans for the garages and the overall site. 

In addition I’ve also asked the police and neighbourhood wardens to give the site additional attention over the coming days and weeks to both provide reassurance for residents nearby and also to ensure the safety of children and young people reported to be gathering at the site.

I’ll publish an update on progress with the issues raised above as soon as I have a response from the authorities.