Wednesday 15 May 2013

Ombudsman refuses to pursue my complaint about A&E closure at Hartlepool Hospital

At long last I have received a written response from the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman (P&HSO) regarding my complaint about the North Tees & Hartlepool NHS Trust’s decision to run down services, including the A&E department, at Hartlepool hospital (see post dated 8 January 2013 for background information).

To say the least I am somewhat taken aback by the assessor’s response! To cut a long story short the P&HSO has made three points:

Firstly, the ombudsman feels that I am not an appropriate person to raise a complaint against the NHS Trust because I am an elected county councillor! In addition, it is considered that I'm not qualified to complain because I am not the aggrieved party, and finally my constituents are not entitled to complain either because the issue came to light more than 12 months ago and queries are now time-barred.

It should be noted that my initial complaint to the P&HSO was submitted eleven months ago, on 18 June 2012so I think it’s reasonable to assume that, if the ombudsman's assessor fully understood the process involved, I would have been advised within days of my initial complaint that, as a democratically elected and accountable representative, I am not entitled to challenge the Trust.

When, on many occasions in the past, I’ve pressed senior members of the NHS Trust to justify the poor level and format of engagement in East Durham in relation to their Momentum proposals they have consistently prided themselves on “consulting” elected members at Durham County Council - but to what purpose if elected members are deemed inappropriate people to challenge their decisions or raise concerns on behalf of their constituents? Surely, even an out-of-touch and unaccountable body such as the NHS Trust wouldn't indulge in a mere box-ticking exercise simply to force through their distorted and publicly unpopular proposals?

I have contacted Grahame Morris MP today about the P&HSO's response and I intend raising the matter at the Easington Constituency Labour Party executive on Friday evening, but in the meantime I will consult other members of the Save Our Hospital campaign group to consider our response to this recent development.